At Templestowe Park PS we are a Positive Education school and a member of the Positive Education Schools Association (PESA). https://www.pesa.edu.au/
Positive Education combines the science of Positive Psychology with very best practices in teaching and learning to inspire and support individuals, our school and our community to be the best that they can be.
Positive Education focuses on developing specific skills to assist our students to strengthen their relationships, build positive emotions, enhance personal resilience, promote mindfulness and encourage a healthy lifestyle.
To support our Positive Education program we have devised the Templestowe Park PS PERMAH Model based on the work of Williams, Norris, O’Connor & Robinson (2013) and Seligman (2011). This model guides our students, staff and community in maintaining a balanced and successful perspective on life.
An important aspect of our Positive Education is the development of a growth mindset rather than a fixed one. A growth mindset is the belief that practice, perseverance and effort leads to success. Students that use a growth mindset welcome challenges, understand that they learn from their mistakes and always focus on growth and improving.
Other important areas covered include Resilience, Optimism, Friendship, Character Strengths and Goal setting.
RRIPO stands for our school values: Responsibility, Respect, Integrity, Pride and Optimism.
It also incorporates a whole school pastoral care program.
RRIPO is a unique program that promotes our school values and Positive Education. In RRIPO groups:
- Every student at Templestowe Park from Prep to Grade 6 is involved.
- Every class teacher, specialist teacher, the Principal and Assistant Principal are also involved.
- Every student in the school is allocated a RRIPO teacher who will care for them throughout their years at Templestowe Park.
- Each fortnight for one hour, everybody moves into their RRIPO groups where they participate in a range of activities. These activities can include Positive Education initiatives, values education, team building or simply enjoying the company of students across the school.
- All activities have the purpose of promoting our school values and developing a whole school connectedness.
- RRIPO groups focus on developing resilience, self esteem and a sense of belonging.
RRIPO groups are all about building relationships. It gives an opportunity for students to connect with other students outside of their grade level as well as another significant adult. At the end of the year we unfortunately say good bye to the grade 6 students in each RRIPO group while at the beginning of the following year we welcome new prep students into each group.